Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Catching Up

Last week was a busy one for us. First, I started the school semester. I love love love my anatomy professor. She's great at explaining and teaching, and really has a way of holding my interest during lectures. I can already see that I'm going to be successful in this class. 

We went to Tahoe with the Allen's and didn't take a single picture!!! Lame I know, but all cameras were left at home and we kept forgetting to buy disposable ones while at the store. We did have a great time, but the boat broke again. Yes, my fear came true!!! We did get in a good day on the boat Friday, so it wasn't a complete bust. Matt thinks it may be the fuel pump and was working on that yesterday evening. 

Sunday night, we hit up the demolition derby at the fair. It was fun!!! I stole the following pictures from Bonnie....

As far as dinner this week, it's like this:

Monday - Spaghetti, salad and bread

Tuesday - Matt's night (we had pizza)

Wednesday - Artichoke chicken with squash and stuffing

Thursday - left overs: Pick Your Poison!!!

Sunday, we are going to a Giants game with Matt's Mom, Carrie and Zach. It should be a good time!!!

Now, the last thing about this scattered post is a dilemma that has been going on in the Shellhammer household. Macy will not stop destroying certain parts of the yard!!! She has dug up two sprinkler heads repeatedly, and is a little bit of a digger in general. Matt came to me this morning and said that this would be the dogs last day in the yard and he would be putting them in the side yard during the day. I do not want this to happen. There are many reasons, the main one being that I don't think it's fair to them, in addition to the logistics of why do we have dogs so they can be "watch" dogs during the day if we're going to lock them up??? 

I've done a little research this morning and I think I've found some methods that may help. The first two have to do with the digging sites. First, I'm going to bury dog poop in the places that she digs. Apparently this deters dogs from digging spots because they don't like the smell. I'm also going to sprinkle some pepper in these places. This is supposed to make digging an unpleasant experience as the pepper gets in the dogs nose and makes it itch. Next, I'm going to give Macy access to the side yard during the day so that can be her designated digging place. From what I've read, digging is natural for dogs and sometimes they just need to do it, so it can help to let them have a spot that is used for that. Finally, I am going to get up an hour earlier than usual to walk them. This may sound extreme, but I think having a little morning exercise will help (the dogs AND me!!!). Afterall, a tired dog is a well behaved dog. Wish me luck with all this....I still have to run my plan past Matt!!!!!

No comments: