Monday, October 24, 2011

Questions....Answered!

Lately, I seem to be asked the same questions repeatedly. Typically, I don't mind. Sometimes I do. Here's a sampling of things I'm asked and the answers (what I actually say and what I'm really thinking)......

Q: So....how's school? How much longer do you have to go?
Verbal A: School is good, right now I'm in pathophysiology and it's really interesting. It's so nice to finally be studying something that pertains to nursing. I hope to be starting the RN program no later than next August, and from the time that I start I'll have two years.
What I really want to say: School sucks. Just like everyone says it does. Sure, it's nice to learn new things and to be making strides toward actually finishing my education, but honestly, I'd much rather not have to worry about homework and midterms and GPA's and entrance exams. And also? I have FOREVER left to be in school. How about we just chat once I'm finally a nurse, mmmmmmkay?

Q: How's the house coming along? When is your expected move in date?
Verbal A: It's moving along nicely. We're almost ready for a frame inspection and right after that it will be insulation and drywall time!! We hope to be back in a week or two before Thanksgiving. And we're so excited!
What I really want to say: Our house it a pit!!! Can't you see that? Look around! Yes, we've come a long way since we began this process, but we've still got a long way to go. And just because we're moving back in doesn't mean it's finished. There will be many, many months of work ahead. So no, I can't come over for a three hour long dinner, I can't go out of town with you and I can't make plans because more than likely I'll have to flake. Call me in a year and let's hope my answer is different. But it probably won't be. Because I'll still be in school (see above).

Q: So, how much would you say this whole thing has cost you (in reference to the house addition/remodel)?
Verbal A: Oh, you know, it's been so spread out with expenses here and there, I couldn't really say. We're just happy to be able to do it at all.
What I really want to say: Are you effing kidding me?????? Well here, let me just bust out the spreadsheets that I've maintained just for people like you who ask terribly rude questions about finances that have absolutely nothing to do with them. It's cost us a lot. More than we had thought, but still less than someone who would have to pay other people to do the work for them. And that's why we have no free time for dinners or out of town trips with friends.

Q: How are things at work?
Verbal A: Oh, pretty much the same as always.....boss is crazy, people aren't very much the team players that they should be, and I won't have a job come January. But, it is what it is!
What I really want to say: Shitty. Work is shitty. And the only reason I'm able to drag myself into the office every.single.day is because work resembles a little bit of a break compared to working on our pit of a house.

Q: Are you thinking about having kids soon? Don't you want kids?
Verbal A: Oh, we want kids someday....just not today. The plan is to wait until I'm done with school. And even then we may just want to enjoy each other for a little while without a house to build or homework to be managed. We'll see!! So how is little (insert child's/niece's/nephew's/grandchild's name here)????
What I really want to say: Is it a requirement that a child be birthed within the first three years of being married, because I must have missed that memo. Just because we don't have kids yet doesn't mean we don't want them. We do, however, plan to enjoy the fruits of our labor without having another being to care for. When I'm pregnant, I promise we'll let you know. Until then, please do not inquire about my ovulation, how old we'll be when we do start a family (and how that could be a problem), and that it's been a while since we've gotten married - don't we want to "add on". We are adding on. To our house. That's enough for now. Thank you and goodbye.

So, there you have it. The questions that are posed on a fairly regular basis. Honestly, this post kind of sounds like I'm pissed, and I'm really not. I guess I just sometimes wish the answers were different and didn't depend on such huge things - like finishing school and the building of our house. Also, I do tell some people what I really want to say, and they laugh and agree with me. Mostly my husband. That's just one reason why I love him. I especially love his answer to the baby question: "Just because you have to change poopy diapers and get up three times a night, doesn't mean we should.". Ahhhhhhh....a man after my own heart!

No comments: