Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Ah, New Years....

To some, New Years Eve is a night to get drunk, be with friends and celebrate. To other's New Years means a second chance, starting over, a clean slate. And to a lot of people, New Years is a time to set goals to be accomplished in the upcoming year. 

I personally fall into none of the above categories...

I hate that people use a new year as a reason to change something(s) about their lives that could have easily been worked on prior to the calendar change. You want to lose weight? Well, why not start right away? Quit smoking? Again, what's stopping you from achieving that now? Seriously, why can't people take the appeal of New Years resolutions and just start being better RIGHT NOW????

That also goes along with the whole second chance, clean slate business. Why does a new year have to begin for people to feel like they can start over? If you want to change something and being anew, do it NOW!!!!

Lastly, I absolutely cannot stand how New Years is hyped up as a party night. I feel that it leads to many a drunk driver on the road, idiots that are obnoxiously trashed at cocktail parties, and unwanted new years kisses. I think this last thing may be the reason for this blog rant. My ideal New Years Eve would be to stay in, with my husband and my dogs, order a pizza and watch a movie while having some drinks. We wouldn't be out on the scene, true. However, we would be with the most important person in our life and still have a good time. Not to mention that we would be home and safe.

Matt has volunteered us to go to a cocktail party tonight. Sure, not so bad (minus the mere fact that he didn't feel the need to ask what I would like to do) I guess it could be fun. I had planned to be DD so that we wouldn't have to worry about getting a cab from YOLO and be able to get home safely. I was already edgy about driving though, just because of all the idiots that still choose to drink and drive. Now, it's going to be foggy tonight. Another thing that makes me anxious. To sum it up, I'd be sober around a load of drunk yahoos so that I could be responsible and drive us home, yet when I drove home I wouldn't be able to see anything let alone a drunkie driving toward me because it's foggy. Sound like fun? I don't think so!! So, my Mom so graciously offered to stay at our house with the dogs so that Matt and I could stay out at the house where the party is being held. This way, we could both have a few drinks, ring in the New Year (Whoopidy Doo!) and stay put in an environment that will not have us at the morgue come morning. Upon mentioning to Matt that we should stay put, I got an answer of, "We'll talk about it later..." Hmmm....indeed we will!

To be continued....

No comments: