Friday, December 16, 2011

Christmas Memories

I have fond memories of Christmas. Every year was the same, but different. Here is a sampling of some Christmas memories that I have and treasure....

*When I was five, my Uncle Chuck got me the blond kid sister doll. She had lavender, striped overalls and long hair in braids. I named her Patsy. I think she's still in my Mom's attic somewhere.

*My favorite ornament is a glass Care Bear sitting on a cloud. It plays a little tune at the press of a button. Apparently, this ornament was gifted to me by the neighbor on my first Christmas.

*Growing up, my Mom always had an artificial tree. I think this is why going "tree hunting" isn't an important tradition to me. I'd much rather haul a tree out of storage, still decorate it and enjoy it, and then pack it back up without tracking needles everywhere and ruining my vacuum.

*The Christmas when I was 8, I wanted a puppy sooooooooo bad. We had two dogs, and my parents were not budging. On Christmas morning, there was no puppy. I went into the kitchen to get something and heard my five year old brother calling to me that there was one more present. I ran in, expecting my beloved pup to be there. Upon walking in the room, our German Shepherd, Sadie, popped out from under some left over gift wrap. At the time, I didn't think much of it. Looking back, it makes me feel special to know that my brother knew how much I wanted a puppy, and that he acknowledged that at the age of 5 in his own little way : )

*I have always, always looked at presents under the tree in the weeks leading up to opening them. Even still, when I walk into my Mom's house, I head straight for the tree to see if there's any new presents.

*One year for Christmas, I wanted Western Barbie. I spied a gift under the tree that was the size and shape of a Barbie box. I proceeded to tear the corner of the package ever so slightly, and got caught red handed. I didn't get that gift until my birthday in March. And it was, indeed, Western Barbie.

*I have wonderful memories of family on Christmas Eve and Morning. For a long time, we would eat clam chowder from a local restaurant called Morrison's on Christmas Eve. My parents, brother and Papa were always there. Then, when Papa and Dad passed away, we continued to be together. Now, traditions have changed slightly, but we still spend time and cherish it. Love that.

What are your Christmas Memories???

No comments: