Monday, September 12, 2011

I Have Not Forgotten

Yesterday, every one's mind was lost in the past. Thinking of September eleventh, two-thousand and one.

I was no exception. Though I did not post on the actual day of remembrance, I would still like to take the opportunity to reflect.

9/11/01 was a Tuesday. I was sixteen years old, a junior in high school. Honestly? I didn't even know what the World Trade Center was until my mom came into my bedroom that morning, waking me with the news that a plane had crashed into it. A few minutes later, I could hear her exclaim that a second plane had hit the South tower.

I went to school. First period was American History with Mr. Alloway, one of my favorite teachers. The bell rang, marking the start of class. He turned the television in the room to CNN, stood at his podium, pointed to the screen and said, "This is history. You're watching history." . He then returned to his desk and we silently watched the news footage for the next 53 minutes.

The rest of that day holds little memory for me. No other teachers had news coverage turned on. I'm sure by the time I was done with my school day, I was focused on much more important things like whose house I should go to to watch MTV and what I would wear to homecoming.

Now? Now I realize the weight of the events of that day. I have for a long time. I understand how the tragic events that took place brought our country together as a neighborhood. Thinking of what happened puts a tear in my eye and a weight on my chest. But, it also puts pride into my heart. Pride for all those who were lost, for those who helped, for those who came together to support one another.

I want to briefly mention one hero in particular from that day. Rick Rescorla. My father was in the Army with him, and they attended OCS together. I recall my dad mentioning his name and his story....first, prior to the 9/11 attacks when I went to see "We Were Soldiers" with him, and then of course after that fateful day. Mr. Rescorla was one of many who sacrificed that day and I am honored to live in a country where there are still people willing to be so unselfishly brave.

A heartfelt thank you to all of those who fight for our country to remain free and a sincere prayer to the families and friends that lost loved ones on that monumental day. Cheers.

No comments: