Friday, March 4, 2011

My Family

Today at Kelly's Korner, the show us your life theme is family. Kelly points out that on our blogs, we mostly talk about our husbands and children and don't often mention the family that you grew up in. Here's the story......

I'll start with my Dad. His name was Bill and he grew up in Iowa. After flunking out of Iowa State University, he joined the army where he excelled. He became a parachute instructor and the day before his tour in Vietnam was to start, he broke his leg during a routine jump. That saved him from going overseas. Post army, he returned to college to complete his education ending up at Duke law school. He met my Mom a few years later after moving to California. They got married and started their family in 1985. My Dad was so fun to grow up with. He was super eclectic and well rounded. Unfortunately, he passed away in 2002 at the end of my junior year in high school. I miss him everyday, but I'm also thankful to have had one of the best Dad's there was. Even if it was for too short of a time.

My Mom, Sally, is just amazing. She was born and raised in our hometown. When she was 15 in the early 70's, she was very sick with an unknown type of hepatitis (at the time). Prednisone was very new to the medical world and she and my grandparents were advised that if she were going to live, it should be used as treatment. Thank goodness it worked. In her early 20's, my Mom made a career for herself at the school district. Once I was born though, she and my Dad made the decision for her to stay home. She didn't go back to work until I was about 11. I'm so glad and feel so fortunate to have had her at home for all those years. My Mom is a spitfire of a lady who tells it like it is. But, she is also very empathetic at the same time. Like I said, she's wonderful. Love her!

Finally, my brother Mitch is three years younger than I. When my Mom was pregnant with him she asked me if I wanted my baby brother's name to be Daniel, Thomas or Mitchell. I answered, "Baby Mitchie!!!". That's still what I call him today, even though he's almost 23 and a good 7 inches taller than me : ) Growing up in the country, my brother and I were close friends. We had to be because there was no one else to play with! Ha! After high school, Mitch decided that the typical college route was not for him and instead he went to a mechanic school called Universal Technical Institute. He got straight A's and graduated a few years ago. I admire him very much and think he is so smart because I can't even wrap my mind around an oil change let alone any of the harder stuff. And don't even get me started on the tractors that he knows how to work on!!! I'm so proud to be his sister and can't imagine having anyone else as my brother!


So, there you have it. My family. Happy Friday!!!

1 comment:

Christy Lee said...

You have a beautiful family! Thank you for sharing your story!