Tuesday, August 16, 2011

A Kink in Training

So, I get to run the Nike Women's Half Marathon in San Francisco again this year. I'm totally stoked. Last year, it was quite the experience. I enjoyed the training and was amazed at what my once "non-runner" body was capable of.

Training this year began on July 30 with a 5 mile run. I rocked it, like, totally. I had to miss the 6 mile run a week later because I was living it up in San Diego with my girls. Well, during said trip, while innocently standing in the middle of a club, sipping on a cocktail, I got injured. Some twit who had been drinking far too heavily to be on a dance floor, let alone wear high heels, rave stomped the top of my foot. And it HURT. That being said, I didn't think it was too bad. I knew for sure it would bruise and maybe be a little sore, but I thought that would be the end of it.

Fast forward to a few hours later when my group and I arrive back at our weekend beach house. After sipping some wine on the patio, I look down at my foot and see a ping pong ball sized lump right where I had been assaulted. Not good. I immediately elevated and iced, still thinking there wouldn't be much in terms of long term damage. Ha! How naive.....

The following evening after schlepping through the airport all day, I arrived home. Upon showing my hubby the disabled foot, he told me that I should get it x-rayed. After some deliberation, I decided her was right. The next day at the doctor, I was told that my foot was not fractured. Though, given the sight of my black and blue toes and swollen purple heel the doctor was shocked. I was thrilled....until she told me that I still couldn't run for two weeks. WHAT?!? TWO WEEKS????? Apparently, running on a foot in the condition that mine was could cause tendinitis, and that would be even bigger trouble in little China.

To make a long story even longer, I have now missed not just one training run, but two. The six and seven milers. My plan is to get back on routine tomorrow. The race is in less than eight weeks. Here's what I'm gonna to do still be able to run it and not die......

Week 1:
Wednesday - cross train for 30 minutes
Thursday - run 2 miles
Friday - rest
Saturday - run 8 miles
Sunday - cross train for 30 minutes

Week 2:
Monday - rest
Tuesday - run 2.5 miles
Wednesday - cross train for 30 minutes
Thursday - run 2.5 miles
Friday - rest
Saturday - run 9 miles
Sunday - cross train for 35 minutes

And so on.....Every week, Tuesday and Thursday runs will increase by 0.5 miles. Saturday runs will increase by 1 mile and Sunday cross training will increase in duration by 5 minutes per week. I know this is a do-able plan for me. It's just going to be getting back on the horse. More than anything, I'm hoping jumping right into 8 miles this Saturday will be okay, and not a hindrance in some way. Wish me luck!

No comments: